5 – When to go (time of year)
When does your unit want to go? When to go also involves weather/seasonal considerations for the chosen activities. For example, river rafting should be done when the river is sufficiently high to support rafting.
6 – Where to go
Check out these BSA websites:
Additional “Where to go” websites include:
- Recreation.gov Explore Your America
- US Forest Service Visit Us
- National Wildlife Refuge System
- Bureau of Land Management
- US National Park Service
Additional Location Sources
- State/County/ Local parks, Discovery Parks
- Local Council Order of the Arrow Lodge Where to go Camping recommendations
Whenever possible start planning your Adventure at least a year in advance.
Plans for any Adventure are not the sole responsibility of the unit leaders. They are the result of youth members and adults thinking together. Some ideas will be good, others farfetched and inappropriate or cost prohibitive. Here, the unit leaders can bring their judgment to bear to ensure the plans are practical and within the limits of the group.